Hamburger meat is a life saver for home cooks. When you’re out of ideas and don’t really feel like experimenting, cooking with hamburger meat can save you lots of time and money. Plus, it’s delicious and your kids will never complain. It is also a great source of protein! This Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy is an excellent variation for days when you don’t feel like looking up new recipes. Use the hamburger you have in the freezer and whip up some gravy. The mushroom flavor coats the meat and there is still enough gravy left for your side.
How to make Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy?
Mix ground beef with soup, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Divide the meat into oval-shaped patties.
Brown the patties on a skillet with olive oil.
Use the remaining soup, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, and water to make the gravy. Mix.
Pour the gravy over the patties and add some mushrooms on top.
Cover the skillet with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Can I make this gravy without mushrooms?
If you want the same taste, then no. Taking away the mushrooms will change the taste in a major way. However, you can make onion gravy instead! Simply use onions instead of mushrooms in the recipe. It will change the flavor, but it will still be delicious
Can I add more veggies to my Salisbury steak?
Yes, you can! If you want to add more flavor to the steak, try adding bell peppers and onions. They will not only add lots of fiber and flavor, but also spice up your steak with some color. As a result, it will be more fun to eat.
How can I make Salisbury steak spicy?
If you like spicy food, you can make this recipe spicy too. All you have to do is add some spicy chillies or jalapeños to the beef. When you’re cooking the beef, make sure you cook the chillies with it. You can also add as much seasoning as you’d like!
- 1- 10.5 oz can condensed French onion soup, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- Using a medium-sized bowl, mix ground beef with ⅓ cup soup, ½ cup breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Divide meat into 6 oval-shaped patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the patties on both sides.
- To make the gravy, place the remaining soup in a small bowl and mix in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, and water.
- Pour the gravy mix over the patties and add the mushrooms on top. Put the lid on and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the patties are cooked through, and the gravy has thickened.