Are you tired of beef, pork, and chicken? Do you want to spice up your burger with an unusual patty? Or, maybe you’re just in the mood for some seafood! These canned salmon patties present a unique and Americanized way to eat salmon. Besides, anyone can whip up a grilled or fried salmon fillet, but can they make a salmon patty?
You will be able to, in just a few simple steps. These salmon patties are usually served with a side of salad or potatoes. If you’d like, you can use a patty in a burger, paired with some sliced vegetables, cheese, and condiments of your choice. Whatever you decide, the flavorful patty will stand out.
How to make Canned Salmon Patties?
Drain the salmon from the can. Remove any bones and skin.
Combine the salmon with breadcrumbs, onion, celery, mayonnaise, and a beaten egg in a large bowl.
Mix the contents of the bowl.
Shape the contents of the bowl into 4 patties.
Melt butter on low heat in a large sauté pan.
Add your salmon patties to the pan.
Cook each patty until it’s cooked through on medium heat.
Serve with boiled potatoes, dill pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and salad. Sprinkle some lemon juice over the patties.
Can I replace the salmon in salmon patties with tuna?
You can, but we don’t recommend it. Canned tuna has a very particular taste that does’t go well with the rest of the ingredients. For this particular recipe, you might want to stick to the ingredients suggested. If tuna is all you have, you can try it, but you might end up with a completely different dish.
Can I make salmon patties healthier?
Though tuna is a leaner fish, it’s not recommended for this recipe. If you’d like to make your salmon patties healthier, replace the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt. It will taste a little different, but no less delicious! Greek yogurt is considered a much healthier substitute for mayonnaise.
What herbs can I add to my salmon patties?
In this recipe, the recommended herb is dill. If you don’t like dill or simply don’t have it at home, you can use any other herb you like! Go for chives, basil, parsley, cilantro, or anything else you have at your disposal. You can even combine the herbs to give the patties your own unique taste!
- 1 can(s) salmon, 14.75 oz
- 1/3 c bread crumbs
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 c chopped celery
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 Tbsp butter, for frying
- lemon and dill, for garnish
1. Drain salmon. Remove bones and skin.
2. In a large bowl combine salmon, bread crumbs, onion, celery, mayonnaise, and beaten egg.
4. Shape into 4 even-sized patties. Two for dinner. And two the next day for a salmon burger. Condiments of your choice.
5. In a large saute pan, melt butter on low.
6. Add salmon patties.
7. Cook on medium until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
8. I like to serve a patty with boiled, and cut up cooked potatoes, a hard-boiled egg, cream gravy, and my Candied Crunchy Dill Pickles on the side. Sprinkle a little dill seed and a splash of lemon juice on the patties.
9. My mom and dad.