There is not a single more universal dessert in the world than chocolate oat bars. First of all, who doesn’t love chocolate? This delicious ingredient loved by many makes any dish a hundred times better. Add some oats that are rich in antioxidants and fiber, in addition to aiding your digestion, and you’re all set!
The best part is that you don’t have to use the oven for this dessert! It’s perfect for nights when the oven is filled with other dishes and you’re looking for an easy dessert that doesn’t require baking.
This yummy treat is great for summer when you don’t want to have anything too heavy. The whole family can enjoy a plate of no-bake chocolate oat bars. Believe me, your kids will be asking for more. And if you’re making them for yourself, then you’re lucky; all the more for you!
How to make No Bake Chocolate Oat Bars?
Grab your 9 x 9-inch square baking pan and grease it.
Melt the butter in a big saucepan over medium heat. Add your brown sugar and vanilla. Then, follow with the oats.
Turn the heat to low and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the oats are fully integrated.
Take one-half of the mixture and press it into the square baking pan. Save the other half for later.
Take a small saucepan and add some chocolate chips and peanut butter to it. Melt the mixture over low heat and keep stirring until it’s completely smooth.
Pour the resulting chocolate mixture in the baking pan over the layer of oats. Spread it evenly over the whole layer.
Take the remainder of your oat mixture and crumble it over the top of the chocolate layer. Press it in lightly.
Cover the dish and refrigerate it for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
When you’re ready to serve the dessert, take it out of the fridge and bring it to room temperature.
How long does it take to prepare no-bake chocolate oat bars?
Though the dish is not difficult to make, it needs quite some time in the fridge. Count with at least 2-3 hours in the fridge and approximately 15 minutes of preparation. The majority of the time will be spent waiting for the bars to solidify, so make sure you start preparing well before dinner time.
Are no-bake chocolate oatmeal bars healthy?
Dessert is hardly diet food, but chocolate oatmeal bars just might be an exception! Even though chocolate is quite high in sugar, the final result will depend on the ingredients you use. Tweak the recipe, and use dark chocolate and substitute sugar for honey. Remember that chocolate, when eaten in moderation, is not bad for you, so treat yourself!
How can I make no-bake chocolate oat bars nut-free?
If you don’t want to use peanut butter in your cooking, no problem! You can substitute peanut butter for tahini or sunflower seed butter. The texture is virtually the same, so both will blend in seamlessly with the chocolate.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Grease a 9×9 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Mix in the oats. Cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until ingredients are well blended. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Reserve the other half for topping.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust in the pan, and spread evenly with a knife or the back of a spoon.
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate layer, pressing in gently. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before cutting into bars.