Who doesn’t love a steak dinner! The thing about steak is that once you get your hands on some high-quality beef, it’s quite easy to work with. This recipe is a testament to that. With a side of potatoes, this dish is so simple, yet so delicious. If you cook it to perfection, you won’t need to add anything else.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make. Gather the ingredients and prepare for a hefty steak dinner. Don’t forget to grab a bottle of some nice red wine when you’re in the grocery store! It’ll go splendidly with the meal.
How to make Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes Skillet?
Marinate your steak strips in soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, and hot sauce.
Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet.
Throw your potato wedges in the skillet and cook for 4 minutes without stirring. Stir, and keep cooking for 5 more minutes.
Take out the potato wedges and put more butter, garlic, red chili pepper flakes, and fresh herbs in the same skillet.
Place the steak strips into the skillet. Save the marinade for later.
Cook the steak strips for one minute on each side. Add the remaining marinade right before the steak is done cooking.
Put the potato wedges back in the skillet to warm up.
Serve immediately while it’s still hot!
What steak is best for garlic butter steak?
I recommend using flank steak, just because it is a cut you can find anywhere. However, if you have other preferences and are looking for something more tender, let your taste buds guide you! Ribeye, strip loin, and tenderloin are all great options too. Ultimately, what’s really important is that you get your hands on some high-quality meat.
How should I cook potatoes in a skillet?
No special preparation is required for this recipe. Your potato wedges will cook just fine in a skillet, as described in the recipe. However, if you’d like to speed up the process a little bit, you can pre-boil the potatoes to make them softer. They will also turn out looking more golden and crispy.
How can I improve the consistency of steak strips?
When you’re cooking steak strips, make sure you’re in no rush. Even though this recipe only calls for a half hour or so, you cannot speed through this part. Don’t put too many strips in the skillet at once. Give each piece its own space to cook through.
- 1 1/2 lb (650g) flank steak, sliced against the grain (or ribeye steak, tenderloin, strip loin, strip steak…)
- 1 1/2 lb (650g) baby yellow potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes, optional
- The marinade
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (or coconut amino for paleo and gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (we used Sriracha)
- Fresh cracked pepper
To prepare the garlic butter steak recipe with potatoes wedges: In a large bowl, combine the steak strips with soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, and hot sauce. Set aside and allow steak strips to marinate while you cook potatoes.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, mix 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When butter is melted, add potatoes wedges. Cook for about 4 minutes, stir and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until potatoes wedges are golden and fork-tender. Transfer sauteed potatoes to a plate and set aside.
3. Keep the same skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, garlic, red chili pepper flakes, and fresh herbs. Lay the steak strips in one layer in the skillet, keeping the drained steak marinade for later. Cook the steak strips on each side for 1 minute each, until nicely browned – adjust timing depending on how you like your steak.
4. Right before the Garlic Butter steak is done, you can stir in the reserved marinade if you like, and cook for one minute. Add the potatoes wedges back to the garlic butter steak pan and heat through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately your steak and potatoes, garnished with more crushed chili pepper, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the potatoes if you like. Enjoy!